11.26.2011

A platform for change.

I stumbled across Seth Godin's Thanksgiving blog post through a friend the other day, and I loved it.

I'm an American. Maybe your an American too. Maybe your Canadian. Maybe your Australian. Maybe your English.

If you're stopping by my blog, then you have internet access. You likely have at least one TV, desktop/laptop computer, cell phone, iPad, e-reader, camera, and I'm sure many more than that...

You're blessed. And so am I. There are many times when we don't feel blessed. We get sucked into the "I want's" or worse, the "I need's", when really, we are doing just great without a new iPhone or whatever it may be.

...but we are, indeed, blessed.

The underprivileged are the people in Africa. Or parts of South America. Or parts of Asia. The places where big families live in huts together and sometimes go without food for weeks because there just isn't any money for food.

I don't know about you, but whenever I say " we have no food", my pantry and refridgerator are still stocked with things that would be great to eat. We just don't have the food I'm looking for.

I'm sure someone in Africa would just love to have the kind of privileges you and I do.

and that's exactly why it's so important to use our privleges and gifts as a platform for influence and change. Through Pinterest, I heard this story about a football player:
When Tim Tebow wore John 3:16 on his eye black to a certain game, over 92 million people looked that verse up on Google. That means over 92 million people heard the Gospel just because one man took a stand.

I read the article, and I was able to sum up that Tim Tebow {who I have never heard of before this, since I don't watch football} is kind of amazing.

"When you die," Tebow booms, "there's gonna be a tombstone, and on that tombstone there's gonna be a name, and there's gonna be a date. And for me, it's going to be 1987, and then it's gonna have a dash.… I want that dash to mean something. I want that dash to be special. I want that dash to represent that Tim Tebow finished strong." He pauses, scans the crowd, sucks in a calming breath, and the wild screams and cries nearly drown out his next line: "And most importantly, when I get to heaven, I want Jesus to say, WELL DONE, MY GOOD AND FAITHFUL SERVANT."

Amazing.

He's influential because he's a football player. He's "famous", and he's using his fame as a way to give back & spread the love of Jesus.

He's not letting the fame of being a football player get to his head. He's doing important things with his life.

You and I? We can do the same.

No, we aren't football players. We aren't famous. but the good news is...

we don't have to be. 

"No one can do everything, but everyone can do something. Together we can change the world."

We can all do important things with our lives. We can all use the amazing lives God has blessed us with to give back to others & change the world.

Doing good is doing good. The scale doesn't matter.

Our lives are a platform for change.

We can use our lives to change our neighborhoods. Our families. Our towns. Our online worlds. Anything is possible!

Jesus called us all to be the salt and light of the world. Let's get out, do things that matter, and give a whole new meaning to the word light.

Blessings!

Sydney

4 comments:

  1. dang girl. tim tebow is awesome. he played for the gators in college (hate them) but he’s such an amazing example of the gospel at work in the spot light. he’s on the rise to be a really great qb in the nfl and every interview he always talks about God. it’s pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing! This was WONDERFUL. Also, I would like to share about your blog makover fundraiser for Susanna on my blog the next few days, if that is ok with you!?! I will just go ahead and post it unless I hear otherwise. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post!! new follower here, I love the story about the football player, ive never heard that one before! Your blog is so sweet! much blessings!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved your post, and couldn’t agree more! I’m thankful that young men have such a great example in Tim Tebow!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! Your comments make my day! Be blessed!


BLOG DESIGN BY LIGHT.LIVE.DO.